We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Meat and poultry
- Popular chicken
- Easy chicken
- Quick chicken
This is an easy but flavourful chicken recipe that I learned from my gran. Serve with a nutty wild rice blend.
96 people made this
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 skinless chicken thighs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 large onions, diced
- 450ml (16 fl oz) water
MethodPrep:5min ›Cook:40min ›Ready in:45min
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil and add the chicken, browning both sides. Sauté for approximately 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the onion to the frying pan and stir together with the chicken pieces for approximately 5 minutes. Add water and let simmer on medium high heat until the onions caramelise and create a sauce.
- Simmer for approximately 30 minutes. You may need to add more water so that the sauce mixture doesn't dry out. Once the chicken is cooked through, remove and set on a serving platter. When sauce is finished, pour over the chicken.
For a richer sauce, use chicken stock instead of water.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(89)
Reviews in English (81)
Altered ingredient amounts.If I could give this recipe 10 stars I would! This was FAB : ) I just made this last night, although I did make some slight changes. I used chicken breasts, instead of thighs, and increased the olive oil to 3 Tbls. I also cooked the onions much longer than the recipe stated (about 13 minutes) because I like to get my onions really carmalised and bring out their flavour-be careful not to burn them! Very, very simple and it tastes out of this world! Do not be fooled by it's simplicity, and do not hesitate to add your own spices as this recipe is a wonderful base that can be adjusted to suit any palate. A +++++-18 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients.I tried this recipe twice. I liked it. Although, The second time I added a few dashes of spices like: paprika & turmeric during the simmer stage. It made the recipe taste even better!-18 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients.My husband loved this dish over rice! I added some oregano, rosemary and parsley. You really need a large onion in order to have enough gravy.-18 Jul 2008